Thursday, August 27, 2020

Gas fireplace repair - WON'T Work, Start or Light - piezo ignitor spark igniter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PicYiwm-VSk

hey my name is Adam and in this video I'm going to repair a gas fireplace that's not sparking or igniting and this one's an easy fix so don't worry too much about it if you have trouble getting your glass off I have a video on cleaning the glass so check that out and I show you how to do that there's a couple latches bottom taking a look inside you can see the parts where the spark is supposed to emanate from and right here we have a thermocouple and that just measures the temperature right here is where the gas should be coming out and you can smell it if it's on so you'll be able to know pretty easy if the gas is coming out but there's no spark when I push the button and the spark should be coming from this little piece of metal here now before you do anything you just want to clean these because a lot of deposits can build up on them so wipe them down and then try it and push the igniter button and see if you get a spark if you don't then we can take a look at a few other parts so coming down here I can see this is real obvious the wire broke off the back so I'm going to unscrew this igniter and there's a nut on the back that I have to hold and this metal does have some sharp edges so watch out don't cut yourself some of these igniters will have kind of a spring clip that you'll you'll need to just push in the clips about this one has this little nut here these are if you need to buy a new one these by the way called piezo igniters and that's kind of interesting how these work there's a crystal inside and once you push down this little plunger it puts pressure on the crystal and it kind of deforms it and causes an electrical spark it's really neat but anyway these can go bad if you hold it in your hand and push the button you will feel the little spark come out it'll shock your hand a bit so at least that way you can know it's working on this wire I have to add a new end because the metal broke off so actually what works for this one I bought a pack of end connectors and Buck connectors and I'm just going to use strip the wires and put on one of those and it actually fits really well over the back of this so you either need to double check that the wires connected make sure that it's all there's no sit buildup or check your igniter when you push it you should feel a lot of resistance and then a nice firm click a pop you can buy these igniters pretty cheap at Home Depot Lowe's places like that now that I put it back together I just want to test it out make sure it all works so I'm going to turn it from off to pilot and you can see the little indicator marker there to let you know which position you're in then I'm going to turn the gas valve a quarter turn and if the handle is parallel with the pipe then you know that gas is going to be able to flow through that's how these valves work next I'll push in on the pilot knob and I will not let go while I'm repeatedly hitting the sparker and then I can look and see if there's a spark coming and it should quickly turn to a flame once you see the flame you still hold it in for a little while and then you let go and turn it to on the on position then you can adjust the amount of gas from low to high whatever you like so anyway I hope this helps you guys if you have any questions let me know I'll do my best to answer and these are pretty basic a lot of these are just like this even though you might have a different model so good luck and have an awesome day

Source : Youtube
For more info click here
7635467377
 

https://www.ybdhc.com/gas-fireplace-repair-wont-work-start-or-light-piezo-ignitor-spark-igniter/

No comments: